The popular metaverse platform Decentraland announced it is collaborating with the luxury marketplace UNXD to host a Metaverse Fashion Week (MVFW) in March of 2022.
The virtual Fashion Week will see dozens of brands and thousands of visitors visit the Ethereum run, user-owned metaverse Decentraland where they will have the chance to witness virtual fashion shows, browse showrooms and stores, and attend music sessions and after-parties.
Here are some more details about the Metaverse Fashion Week (MVFW):
- The fashion show will happen between March 24-27.
- Participants can watch virtual runway events, connect with other viewers and purchase virtual clothing and accessories for online avatars in the form of non-fungible tokens (NFTs).
- Hugo (formerly Hugo Boss) will participate and has signed a deal with Boson Protocol, a partner of MVFW, to create NFTs for goods to sell in the metaverse. Other well-known brands are expected but details are vague.
- UNXD is a Polygon luxury marketplace that hosted Dolce & Gabbana’s premier NFT collection.
- Anyone can attend Fashion Week as a guest, but you need to create an account and connect a crypto wallet like MetaMask to purchase items and NFTs.
Decentraland hosts daily events from live music shows, gaming, talks, meetups, art galleries, and more. In October, they held a virtual music festival that saw Paris Hilton, Deadmau5 and DJ 3LUE perform.
With MVFW, Decentraland is offering brands and designers a nearly risk-free opportunity to expand their customer base and see for themselves what all the hype around the metaverse and NFTs is about. It also will likely inspire brands to experiment with new styles and fashions — as digital landscapes open up different possibilities for creators.
Though there is still little word about which brands will be participating, we expect big names and big crowds. After all, a recent study by Grayscale suggests the Metaverse has the possibility of generating $1 trillion in annual income.
Get your avatars ready.